Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Battlefield 3: The weird crappy shadows in my BF3 videos?


To the couple of you that saw my video and asked this question, here's the answer after the jump.

TLDR - It's the NVIDIA drivers that allegedly caused this issue. It is currently known to affect 8, 9, and the 200 series.

According to the article released by DSO Gaming, it seems the 285.62 drivers released by NVIDIA causes the shadows to be corrupted and the frames to stutter on certain older series of cards, the 8, 9, and the 200 series cards to be more specific.

I've been seeing weird shadows on these cards in the past, but I must say the shadow corruption in BF3 is particularly bad. As opposed to simply turning off advanced shadow effects to mitigate the flickering/corrupted shadows as I had in the past, there is no option in Battlefield 3 but to completely disable ALL shadow effects to bypass the problem if you're an unlucky owner of these series of video cards.

It's a shame, because NVIDIA's latest 285.62 drivers excel otherwise on my relatively aged/outdated GTX 275, which is now sitting at well over 2 years old. I've been getting away with High, sometimes even Ultra settings and on my TV/monitor resolution of 1920x1080 WHILE recording via FRAPS.

I've not seen these corrupted shadows in the little time I've spent on multiplayer so far (not enough time sink my teeth into them between WoW raids, recording/encoding/uploading singleplayer videos, and etc). And this is worrisome to me, cause I've got a sneaky feeling this issue just might stick around as long as the problem stays limited to singleplayer, despite the NVIDIA employee stating otherwise in the article linked earlier.

It'd be nice to see a fix for this before I get around to some of the more epic segments of the campaign before I finish uploading my playthrough series.

No comments:

Post a Comment